If you are anything like us and love a good apple dessert, you will love this Apple Cake our mom has made for years. This cake is soft, dense, packed with yummy delicious apples and has the most amazing frosting.
Any type of apples will work and since it is such a dense cake your cook time may vary depending on ovens.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (we use vanilla paste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups peeled and diced apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then slowly add milk and whisk until no large lumps remain.
- Using a spatula fold in diced apples.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool for 2 hours.
1 stick of margarine
1 cup of brown sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp flour
Mix all ingredients together and then spread on cake after it has cooled.
Another option would be to bake it with the cake. This is the way our mother used to make it and both choices are delicious!
Then add nuts (optional) and serve!!! YUM!
This would be a wonderful dessert for Thanksgiving and served with an excellent cup of coffee. Happy Baking!